Holy Cheekbones! Thoughts on Chanel's Couture Fall 2015


Is it wrong that the most striking thing to me about the recent Chanel show is the styling of the models' hair and makeup?  When I think of Chanel, I like most people have trouble straying from the classic ideas of black suits with white trim, perfectly executed and tailored as one would expect of a design house that holds such a reputable position in the world of fashion.  After years of following fashion from a distance (mostly from my parent's home in Providence, Rhode Island) I obviously know there's so much more to Chanel than this classic image.  Personally, I was really intrigued by the way the variations on this suit that came out of the new couture show.

As soon as I opened up the link from style.com my mother drifted over and looked at the images of the newly released ensembles.  We sorted through each one commenting on the looks deciding whether we liked them or not, just like we always do.  There were a lot of angular lines and acute triangles from the way the models hair was parted and how the cheekbones were emphasized to the thick shoulder pads and longline coats.  I was definitely not alive during the 1980s I do have a lot of experience watching 80s movies (hello Ferris Beuler's Day Off anyone? Breakfast Club?) so these angular silhouettes reminded me of days where shoulder pads were found in almost every outfit.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Veronica Sawyer or one of the Heathers to have walked in the show sporting one of the outfits.

Of course, there were a few outliers in this logic such as the flowing dresses towards the end of the collection.  But still - the high necks and empire waists that many of these dresses sport keep up the theme of strict lines found in the earlier parts of the collection.  Also - those shoes!  Totally in love.  I really enjoyed the way this collection took from previous styles popular in the 20th century such as shoulder pads or boxy dresses reminiscent of the twenties while also keeping it contemporary and intriguing.  
photos of show courtesy of style.com

Any other thoughts? Am I the only one who saw a lot of 1980s in this collection? Love it? Hate it? Tell me in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OOTD: Oversized Stripes

OOTD: September Sun

Best Cross Body Bags for Fall (That Won't Break the Bank)